Sunday, August 17, 2008

Favorite Footwear

Here is my list of favorite footwear (in no particular order):

1. UGGS: It's been said that they are the ugliest shoes on the planet but they are by far the most comfortable. Here is my story. Back in early 2003, they were practically unheard of. I had seen them in the Neiman Marcus catalog and thought nothing of them until I saw a pair returned to the store (we weren't even carrying them in the store at this point). I tried them on and thought they were comfortable but they were too ugly for me :o). Several months later, Neimans was liquidating their inventory of Uggs and I found a pair at the Last Call store for $17.00 after my discount. (They look like the ones next to the baby pink UGGS below). So, I bought them and am a HUGE fan of UGGS. Shortly thereafter, Oprah listed them as one of her Favorite Things and there was a HUGE run on UGGS and they couldn't be found anywhere except on Ebay for $500+. I don 't care how ugly or out of fashion they are, I will always have a pair. Five years later, my UGGS are pretty trashed so I think it's time for a new pair. I also bought a pink pair for Brooke when I worked at Neimans. Isn't she cute!!


2. PINK flip flops: The patterns are always fun and trendy and I LOVE the Pink line.

3. Manolo Blahniks: These are a Splurge! Splurge!! Splurge!!! They start at $550 and go into the thousands. When I worked at Neimans, a lot of the associates wore them and said they were the most comfortable shoes ever. I thought that was hard to believe until I owned a pair myself (pictured below left). I got a STEAL on these. They were $550. and after all my discounts, I paid around $100. I am sure they will be my last pair :-( I found all the rumors to be true. They are the most comfortable shoes. It's really hard to explain unless you try a pair. Manolo Blahnik is an actual person and his shoes are handmade. When he was younger, he used to make shoes out of tin foil for his pets. What a great start!


4. Fit Flops: Several months ago, my friend Melanie called me and said we had to buy these calf building shoes. I had seen the calf building sneakers that are several hundred dollars. I bought a pair of Fit Flops ($50) in silver and wear them all the time. I do think they work. They make my legs feel like they have been messaged. It's similar to the feeling my legs feel after swimming laps. I wear them around the house and out. VERY comfortable summer shoes. They also come in a lot of fun colors. There were one of Oprah's summer picks. (they run big. I am a true size 7 and I bought these in a 6 and they fit perfectly)

6 comments:

Ann said...

I remember watching Oprah's favorite things on Uggs. I immediately grabbed the phone and ordered a pair-in pink of course! I literally ordered them just in time because within hours, they were sold out and backordered for months and as you said, going for $500 on ebay. I love my Uggs too Laura!

Unknown said...

I forgot about your pink ones!! Do you still wear them a lot? I want pink ones too :o)

Shari said...

I love Uggs in the winter! I remember Ann wearing her pink ones once when we went out to dinner. So cute.

This is a fun post Laura. (as usual)

Unknown said...

Remember this Ann: It was January 2004 and you were the ONLY person on the planet with pink Uggs. We were walking around the beach in La Jolla and everyone was staring at your shoes :o) Fun times

Jenny said...

I tried on a pair of Uggs knock-offs at Target and I looked like I was wearing moonboots!! Remember those? They're cute though. Just make my feet look huge! Only $22 on clearance, so maybe I'll buy for the winter! If Laura, fashion guru, recommends them ... :)

Ann said...

LAURA! I do remember that!!! Honestly, after I got them (and wore them EVERYWHERE!), I would hear random strangers whispering "she has the pink uggs!" :o)